Follow these tips to keep your real Christmas tree as fresh as possible. If you are unable to set up your tree when you get home, store it in a cool sheltered area like the Northside house, away from the wind and sun.
- Before you bring the tree into your home and place it in a stand, re-cut the trunk at least one inch from the bottom just before putting it in the tree stand.
- Heat sources like heat registers, space heaters, fireplaces, woodburning stove, televisions, computer monitors, etc. speed up evaporation and moisture loss of the tree. It is best to place your live tree away from these heat sources.
- After making the fresh-cut, place the tree in a large capacity stand. Secure the tree in the stand and fill the reservoir with warm water. The tree stand you use should hold at least one gallon of water.
- Check the tree stand every morning and do not allow the water level to drop below the fresh cut, or the stem will reseal and be unable to take up water.
- It is not unusual for a tree to drink 2 gallons of water the first day it is the stand.